So What's This All About?

My family is traveling the world one forkful, or kuĂ izi ful, or handful at a time. Follow our blog to see what interesting facts we learn, which country's food becomes our favorite, and which cuisine makes us feel healthiest. There will also be postings of some projects/arts and crafts/activities for preschoolers that we do in our home preschool. Grab your appetite and let's go!

Saturday, January 23, 2010

And we're off...

I don't have my complete ME menu or shopping list because I'm still waiting for one more book from the library that I have a hold on, and I spent some of this morning figuring out where to shop for the more unique ingredients I will need - mainly fava beans, lavash, rose and orange-blossom water, pomegranate paste, and such. (If you live near me and know where, please enlighten me!)
But I couldn't resist the recipes any longer, and yesterday I made Chicken Breast Saute with Curry Spices (feerakh bel curry) and an improvised Pilaf of my creation that stemmed from a couple recipes in Feast From the Mideast.
Here I have ground the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cayenne, turmeric, cinnamon, and black peppercorn. Mmmm... and look at that color!

Instead of chicken breasts, I used bl/sl chicken thighs, and it was so tasty.
The improv consisted of millet (which I was trying to use up) sauteed with onions, garlic, pinenuts, and chopped dried apricots then simmered in chicken broth till softened. I tossed some scallions in at the end.

We topped both dishes with a drizzle of plain yogurt, and then we savored. Ohhh, so good! The picture shows the food in such a small portion because we were chowing away before I remembered to get a shot! But I think you get the idea. :)

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy the journey! I recommend Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions" (lots of recipes, health-related and cultural notes, etc). There is a really long waiting list for it at the library! I wish you could transmit the smells via internet!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm inspired already. Any recipes including Harissa? Among my cookbooks that I'd be lost without is Best Recipes in the World by Mark Bittman. He even lists them by region of the world. There used to be (I couldn't tell you if it's still there) a middle eastern grocery on the corner of Main and McIntire in Charlottesville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi- I'm Alenna's niece and she thought I'd like your food adventures... she's right- this is a brilliant idea! I bellydance as a hobby, so ask Alenna for my email/facebook if you'd like to know some resources for middle eastern/bellydance music (I have a wide mix of artists& styles I could suggest, including Turkish, Persian, Egyptian, Gypsy/Romani, etc) Currently I am learning about how different regions have different tempos of music (ie a Turkish 9/8 rhythm and a Moroccan 6/8 rhythm- might be interesting if you want the kids to have a music lesson as well!)
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete